- 2 whole Racks Smithfield St. Louis Style Ribs, membrane removed2 whole
- 2 cup(s) Hoisin barbecue sauce2 cup(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) Kosher salt1/2 cup(s)
- 1/3 cup(s) Light brown sugar1/3 cup(s)
- 1 Tbsp. Ground cinnamon1 Tbsp.
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Ground anise or fennel seed1 1/2 cup(s)
- 1 Tsp. Black pepper1 Tsp.
- 1/2 Tsp. Ground cloves1/2 Tsp.
- 1 Handful hickory or apple wood chips for smoking, soaked in water and drained (optional)1
About 30 minutes before smoking, make the dry rub. Combine all rub ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Generously coat both sides of ribs with rub. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Heat charcoal or gas grill for indirect cooking at 275oF. Add drained wood chips, if using.
Place the ribs, meaty side up, over a drip pan and cook for 2 hours. Add about 12 coals to a charcoal grill every 45 minutes or so to maintain the heat.
Remove ribs from grill. Double-wrap each rack in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Return wrapped ribs to the grill and cook for 2 hours more over indirect heat, until very tender. Add more coals as needed to maintain temperature for a charcoal grill.
Remove ribs from grill and unwrap. Place ribs over direct heat on grill and brush with barbecue sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce is set. Turn ribs and repeat with more sauce.
Serve ribs with remaining barbecue sauce.