Bone-In Ham Steak with Hash Brown Cakes, Fried Egg, and Queso Sauce
- 1 whole Bone-in ham steak1 whole
- 2 Eggs, fried2
Hash Brown Cakes:
- 1 pkg(s) 20oz. Refrigerated hash brown potatoes1 pkg(s) 20oz.
- 8 slice(s) Smithfield Hometown Original Bacon, cooked, roughly chopped8 slice(s)
- 1 oz. Freshly grated parmesan cheese1 oz.
- 4 Tbsp. All-purpose flour4 Tbsp.
- 2 clove(s) Garlic, minced2 clove(s)
- 2 Large eggs, beaten2
- 3 Green onions, thinly sliced3
- 1/4 Tsp. Cayenne pepper1/4 Tsp.
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil2 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. Canola oil1 Tbsp.
- 1/4 cup(s) Diced yellow onion1/4 cup(s)
- 1/2 whole Jalapeno, seeded, diced1/2 whole
- 1 can(s)oz. Roasted green chiles1 can(s)oz.
- 3/4 cup(s) Milk3/4 cup(s)
- 12 oz. Chihuahua cheese12 oz.
- 1 whole Roma tomato, diced1 whole
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped cilantro2 Tbsp.
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Hash Brown Cakes: In a large bowl, combine potatoes, bacon, Parmesan, flour, garlic, eggs, green onions and cayenne pepper; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Scoop tablespoons of batter for each pancake, flattening with a spatula, and cook until the underside is nicely golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side about 2 minutes longer.
Queso Sauce: Heat canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
Add the roasted poblano pepper, milk and cheese. Reduce heat to low and stir until completely melted and smooth.
Add diced tomato and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
To Serve: Sear ham steaks in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan until browned.
Place the potato cakes on a plate, followed by ham steak, fried egg and queso sauce.